What is affiliate marketing? And more importantly, is it a good fit for you?
Let’s first cover how the word “affiliate” is defined. According to Merriam-Webster, an affiliate is someone who is connected to an organization.
So as an affiliate marketer, you are someone who is connected to an organization, and the marketer part is someone who does marketing on behalf of that organization.
And the great part is that you get a commission if you are successful in that marketing effort. And it can all be done online, with no face-to-face meetings, cold calling, or sales experience. And this is great for everyone, and that includes if you’re an introvert.
Imagine all you needed to create a consistent passive income was just a simple website. You don’t have to manufacture any products, offer a service, or rent a shop. Does that sound good?
If yes, welcome to affiliate marketing. But what is it? How does it work? And most importantly, how do you get started in this business?
And to be very clear out of the gate…this is not a get rich quick scheme. Do not believe anyone who says that it is. This process takes time and commitment to build the foundation. But the work is fun, and it’s incredibly rewarding once you start getting traction.
Here we’ll briefly explore affiliate marketing and how to get started. We also offer tips on how to succeed in this online business.
What Is Affiliate Marketing (How Does It Work)?
Affiliate marketing is a simple marketing model in which a company rewards you (the affiliate) for each customer who makes a purchase from your marketing efforts. While it may sound or seem similar to referral marketing, the two are different.
As an affiliate marketer, you earn commission by generating leads on specific products. But how do you get these leads and traffic? Keep reading to find out.
This chart below shows the basic flow of affiliate marketing, and how the process works:
What Are the Best Channels to Pursue Affiliate Marketing?
There are different channels through which affiliates get customers. Below are the top channels that new affiliates may leverage.
These are popular content creators that have a considerable following. They can impact purchase decisions on certain products. Top celebrities such as Cristiano Ronaldo and Rihana are excellent examples. They leverage social media platforms to market their products.
And to be clear, this is a very small fraction of successful affiliate marketers. You have to be very edgy in today’s social media world, and grow a following many times with less than respectable behavior. This is not who most people are…thankfully 🙂.
Bloggers Who Build a Website (Blog)
This is the best path for most people who want to enter affiliate marketing. It provides the very best chance of success.
That’s because to become a successful affiliate marketer, you don’t have to be a top celebrity. A simple website or a blog will get you started on the path to earning a passive income. It only takes a few days or hours to create one, and the tools available today are very impressive.
We recommend Wealthy Affiliate for the top website-building platform. They have a very impressive array of tools, support, and affiliate marketing training. And the best part is that you can start for absolutely free. Not even a credit card down.
And once your website is up and running, you only need to create content that attracts readers that generate enough traffic to qualify for an affiliate program. You can convince these visitors about the importance of the products or services you’re promoting and get them to buy through your affiliate links.
Email marketing is another top marketing technique for affiliates. All you have to do is share regular emails on different products with your contact list. Then, someone may make a purchase.
While email listing and social media platforms are powerful tools to succeed as an affiliate, you still need a website. That’s because it gives your business some credibility. It also offers an opportunity to get email contacts from your visitors.
The challenge with e-mail marketing is building your list. It takes a lot of time and work to build a list. However, if you work on it each and every week you can build your list over time.
How to Get Started in Affiliate Marketing
There are four key ways to get started in affiliate marketing:
- Create a website or blog. This will be your foundation, and where you will get your customers. Create content that’s convincing, informative, and helpful to gain traffic. And it’s always best to build your site around your passion. If you love gardening, that’s your website! Love woodworking? You build a how-to woodworking site! And on and on….
- Join an affiliate network. This is a marketplace where product owners list their products and affiliate programs, and affiliates can find products to promote.
- Find a product to promote. Once you’ve joined an affiliate network, take some time to browse through the products listed and find one that would fit your website niche.
- Apply to the affiliate program. Once you’ve found a product you want to promote, you’ll need to apply to the affiliate program. Each program has its own requirements, but most require you to have a website or blog. With a decent looking website, it’s generally pretty easy to gain acceptance to a network.
- Promote the product. Once you’ve been accepted into the affiliate program, you’ll be given a unique affiliate link. This link is how you’ll earn commission on sales you generate. Promote the product through your website, blog, or social media.
What Are the Benefits of Affiliate Marketing?
There are plenty of benefits that come with affiliate marketing, including:
- It’s a great way to create a passive income on the side that grows and grows over time.
- You can build an asset that will appreciate in value over time.
- It’s a relatively low-risk way to start your own business, and does not require much start-up capital.
- There are a variety of different business models you can choose from.
- You can scale your site to any size that you want, and you’re only limited by your desire and commitment.
- There’s an endless range of products and services that you can promote.
- You can work from anywhere with no geographical restrictions.
- In time you can make a full-time passive income from affiliate marketing.
Tips for Success in Affiliate Marketing
Of course, we wouldn’t go without pointing out a few success tips in affiliate marketing. While we won’t go into details, if you implement them, they will definitely help grow your online business. They include:
- Choose a niche that you have a passion for, and build your website around that passion
- Choose the best affiliate marketing training to learn the business
- Choose the right affiliate program
- Promote products that you believe in
- Be patient and persistent
- Build a relationship with your audience
- Measure your results and adjust your approach accordingly
Click to return to the homepage.
Affiliate Marketing Training
At Mobile & Passive, we strongly believe in Wealthy Affiliate as best platform to learn affiliate marketing, and build a successful business. It has the best training, website-building tools, weekly courses, incredible support, and amazing success stories. And whether you’re brand new to the internet, or a seasoned pro, it works equally well for everyone.
Best of all, you can test drive the program for absolutely free – not even a credit card down.